Addiction to pornography is an enormous problem in today’s society for men and women. It can be very addictive, and if not dealt with, it can lead to other addictions. People who are addicted to pornography often spend hours each day watching pornographic videos or looking at pornographic images. This can lead to problems in their personal lives and can damage their relationships.
Some people even start acting out what they have seen in pornography, which can lead to them becoming involved in risky sexual behavior. Many people who are addicted to pornography cannot control their addictions. They find it very difficult to stop looking at pornography because they have become so used to it they do not know how to cope without it.
Some causes of pornography addiction might include:
- Availability of pornography. With the internet, it is easy to find and watch pornography.
- Low self-esteem or body image issues. People who have low self-esteem or body image issues may use pornography to feel better about themselves.
- Stress or boredom. People may turn to pornography when they are feeling stressed or bored.
- Traumatic events. People who have experienced traumatic events may use pornography to cope with the trauma.
- Relationship problems. People who are having relationship problems may use pornography to deal with the stress of the relationship.
Those who are addicted to pornography can feel they are out of control and have to consume more and more to get the same level of excitement they had previously. They can have a distorted view of sexuality and struggle with obtaining personal relationships.
There is no one answer to overcoming pornography addiction, as everyone’s journey is unique. However, Christ can help you find healing and freedom from this destructive habit.
Christians have a powerful and biblical perspective on sexuality, which can be helpful in overcoming this addiction. Christ’s teachings emphasize that sex is between a man and a woman in marriage.
A Path to Victory
- Study & Pray – Christ was vulnerable and human, which makes Him more relatable and trustworthy for recovering from an addiction. Tell the Lord about your struggles. Be consistent and intentional with your devotions. Claim the following promises from The Scriptures – Phil 2:5, Romans 12: 2, 1 John 5:4, Prov. 24:16, and John 10:10.
- Do Not Isolate Yourself – Find a trusted support group. Talking with others who are fighting the same battle can be very helpful in overcoming addictions and disorders. There is strength in numbers, so finding a support group that is right for you can make all the difference.
- Avoid temptation – Keep pornographic materials away where they are not easily accessible. You can install filtering software on devices that access the internet. Find alternatives to occupy your mind. Sometimes, if a person is anxious or bored, they will turn to this temptation. Activities, such as reading, playing sports, or spending time with friends and family, can be a tremendous help. Be aware of triggers on the internet, television, music, or social media. Take one day at a time.
If you are struggling with pornography addiction, reach out for help. Christ can provide you with the strength you need to overcome this addiction. There are many resources available to help you get started on your journey to recovery, including support groups and counseling. With God’s help, you can break free from pornography addiction and live a healthy, fulfilling life.